Frequently Asked Questions

The Museum receives various requests on a fairly regular basis. We hope this list of questions and answers can be of assistance.
Should you however wish to obtain more information please contact the Local History Museums Enquiry section.

I would like to give one of my treasured possessions to the museum. How do I go about donating the object?

It is preferable to first telephone the Old Court House Museum and speak to the Curator or a Museum Officer who will discuss the matter with you. You may also bring in your object to the Old Court House Museum for assessment. A Museum Officer is on hand in the Enquiry Section to assist you during the week during normal working hours from 8:30 to 16:00.

Official documentation will be provided to you as a receipt should you be requested to leave the objects at the museum.

Can the museum please value one of my antiques?

The museum does not provide the public with this service and we recommend that members of the public contact reputable auction houses and antique dealers in Durban who will be able to provide guidance on this.

My home has been flooded and I have water-damaged paintings. What can I do?

If you have objects that are water logged, damp or damaged in any way and you require assistance in salvaging the objects, the museum will be glad to try to assist by providing information on what you can do. If the museum cannot assist you we will put you in touch with people who can. Dealing quickly with damaged heritage objects in an appropriate manner is vital and we urge you to contact us as soon as possible.